God is not a theory but a demonstrable reality. This is not just my thinking. Paul of Tarsus said; “My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on man’s wisdom, but on God’s power.” (I Corinthians 2:4) God is demonstrated in various ways:
1) God demonstrates Himself through miracles and answered prayer. I have personally seen far too many miracles and answered prayers to be coincidental. If you pray and honestly observe the results, I think you, too, will be convinced by God’s demonstration of His power and love. Here’s a link to a news story about a medical doctor in Cleveland, Ohio who prays for sick people and sees many amazing miracles happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFlxmWHZCnc
2) God demonstrates Himself through the unlikely happenings in day-to-day life. We’ve all experienced what are commonly known as coincidences – for example, when you are thinking about someone and right at that moment, he/she calls or texts you. If you observe your life, you will notice that amazing and unusual things happen for you, way beyond any statistical likelihood. For 40 years, I have been on God’s reading program. Almost every time I go to a book store, I stumble upon a book that deeply moves me and transforms my thinking.
3) God demonstrates Himself through the witness of the Spirit. The Old Testament puts it this way: “Be still and know that I am God.” When get still and quiet, God talks to them. There is an inner witness and awareness of His awesome reality!
4) God demonstrates Himself through the act of praying. When I begin to pray spontaneously, something stirs in my heart. Words rise up from deep within me and flow off my tongue. Sometimes when I pray for a stranger, I feel an amazing love for her/him. I don’t even know the person, so I know that the love is not from me. It is a demonstration of the reality of God.
5) God demonstrates Himself through the example of godly people. I know and have known people who live in such a way that leaves me no doubt that the supernatural power of God is flowing through them.
6) God demonstrates Himself through the natural world. We are surrounded by miracles – living organisms so complex that the brightest human intellects cannot completely comprehend how they function. No human can fully account for the marvels of life on this planet from a purely materialistic point of view.
7) God demonstrates Himself through lives transformed by the Gospel of Jesus Christ. In the past two thousand years, billions of human beings have been changed and set free by the blood of Jesus. In spite of being from various, unrelated cultures and nations around the world, the amazing similarity of their stories demonstrate that their transformation was not just a subjective experience, but an encounter with the living God.
8) God demonstrates Himself through the Bible. Reading the New Testament has revealed the reality of God to multitudes!
9) God demonstrates Himself through dreams, visions, and gifts of the Holy Spirit. A woman I know was tortured in Saddam Hussein’s prison for 9 months. In desperation this Muslim woman cried out for God to show himself to her. When she opened her eyes, she saw Jesus Christ standing in front of her. The next morning she was miraculously released.
10) God demonstrates Himself through actively leading a church meeting. When a church gathers without a human leader in control, God will personally lead the meeting by inspiring those present to share testimonies, Scriptures, prayers, gifts of the Spirit, encouragement, teaching, etc. An open meeting which would naturally lead to chaos, instead comes together in beautiful ways, demonstrating the leadership of God’s Spirit.
If you would like to see God demonstrate Himself to a group of people, there is a church in Nashville that gathers like this weekly — The Salvation Army Berry Street Worship Center — Sundays at 10:45, 225 Berry St., Nashville, 37207.
Why not let God demonstrate Himself to you?