The Salvation Army USA’s Crest Books has just published a new book, Tsunami of the Spirit Come Roll Over Me. It is an urgent call from various Salvation Army leaders from around the world for a radical, earth-shaking, overwhelming move of the Holy Spirit.
The book is based on a quote from General Paul Rader, a former international leader of The Salvation Army: “Pray that a Spirit-inspired movement of prayer reaching the throne of God will bring a mighty tidal wave of salvation blessing sweeping over our Army around the world, a tsunami of the Spirit, cleansing, refreshing, and renewing us for mission.
The passion of my life has been to see a mighty, world-wide move of God, a great spiritual awakening, so Tsunami of the Spirit hits deep within my heart. I believe that a genuine spiritual tsunami would transform everything about the church in 4 ways:
1) Release incredible and uncontained spiritual power in greater ways than we can imagine.
2) Bring forth amazing urgency, intensity, uncontrolled emotion, and victory shouting.
3) Wash away human control.
4) Minimize religious order, structure, and organization.
Here are a few quotes from the book that match my 4 results of a tsunami of the Spirit:
1) “We’re anticipating a global tsunami. We’re praying for it. We’re fighting for it. We’re believing in it. We do not settle for ‘making a difference,’ ‘leaving a legacy,’ being an influence.’ We’re wanting God’s boundless salvation to sweep the earth with wave after wave of Holy Spirit love and purity and power, the whole world redeeming.” –Stephen Court
2) “Many a meeting has failed at the shouting point. Songs were sung, testimonies had been given, the Bible had been read and explained, sinners had been warned and entreated, prayers had been poured forth to God, but no one wrestled through to the point where he could and would intelligently praise God for victory, and, so far as could be seen, the battle was lost for want of a shout.” –Samuel Logan Brengle
“Nothing can stand before a man with a genuine shout in his soul. Earth and Hell flee before him, and all Heaven throngs about him to help him fight his battles . . . at times their shouting will be like the boom of a big gun, and will have the speed and power of a cannon-ball.” –Samuel Logan Brengle
3) “The believer is a disciple, giving up one’s own way and following the Christ at all costs. It’s considerably more than a marginal interest in Christianity.” Jim Knaggs
4) “We have been trying to break loose all the trammels of custom and propriety which may in any degree have hindered or hampered us in the past…We mean to gain the ear of the people for our Master; and we are more than ever determined that no conformity to any church forms or ideas shall hinder us.” –William Booth
“Too often I struggled to squeeze enough Gospel into people to get them to Heaven, without realizing the power of the Gospel to break into dark and desperate places in order that the light might shine brightly throughout the entire earth.” –Danielle Strickland Lord, send a tsunami of Your Spirit and send it soon!