Here are some things that stir my soul to sense the spiritual reality that surrounds us — that create a sense of awe in my heart. These things motivate me, inspire me, and help me be aware of the reality of God:
* Getting surrounded by nature and observing the beauty of woods, hills, the ocean, a starry sky, a sunset, flowers, a rainbow, squirrels, etc.
* Holding a baby; interacting with small children.
* Hearing someone openly and passionately share the concerns of his/her heart.
* Movies that move me, such as: Brother Sun, Sister Moon; Gandhi; It’s A Wonderful Life; Les Miserables; Shenandoah; Amazing Grace (the William Wilberforce story); and The Cross: The Arthur Blessett Story.
* Participating in passionate praise and worship of God.
* Reading books that connect with me deeply, such as: biographies of inspirational people, stories of personal and spiritual growth, the classics of Christian spirituality, history of spiritual revivals and/or social justice; and my two favorite books: the Bible and the Philokalia.
* Music, especially songs with a passionate message, like, To Dream The Impossible Dream.
* Watching the Holy Spirit actually take over a meeting and manifest His Presence as people are moved to publicly share what God is doing in their lives.
* Helping somebody. Getting my mind off of myself and my needs and focusing on the needs and concerns of others.
* Writing and expressing the creativity that stirs within me.
* Reading and collecting uplifting quotes and quotations.
* Seeing other people experience personal and spiritual breakthroughs.
* Soul stirring speeches. Although they are not very common, I’ve heard a few, including several by Martin Luther King, Jr.
So, what stirs your soul?