There continues to be much effort made attempting to change the name and focus of Christmas. For example, this Christmas season, the governor of Rhode Island, Lincoln Chafee, decided to change the name of the Christmas tree in the rotunda of the State House to “Holiday” tree.
So if we are going to change the name of the Christmas season to the bland name of “Holiday season,” perhaps we should be fair and change the name of other holidays as well. Why not name every holiday “Holiday”? For example:
* Independence Day fireworks shows could be renamed, Holiday fireworks shows.
* New Years’ Eve parties could be called Holiday parties.
* Memorial Day celebrations could be called Holiday celebrations.
* Halloween Trick or Treating could be called Holiday Trick or Treating.
* Labor Day picnics could be renamed as Holiday picnics.
Now wouldn’t that be a lot easier. If all holidays had the same, simple name of Holiday, then no one could be offended. And political correctness could gut the meaning out of all holidays equally.