What are the world’s 10 greatest books? Here are the top 10 books that have had the most impact on my life:
1) The Bible: I’ve read it almost daily for 42 years. There have been times that I have read it for hours a day. Here’s a challenge. Read the New Testament for a minimum of 5 minutes a day for 21 days and see what amazing things it will do in your life.
2) The Philokalia: This is a five-volume collection of ancient writings (from 300 AD until about 1,000 AD) by Orthodox monks. It is absolutely incredible!
3) The Way Of A Pilgrim is the journal of an Orthodox pilgrim as he wanders around Russia (I think in the 1800s) reading The Philokalia and trying to live out its principles, especially the Jesus Prayer.
5) Black Like Me is John Howard Griffin’s account of the time in the 1950s when he darkened his skin and traveled around the American South, experiencing the unbelievable hatred and racism that blacks went through during that Jim Crow time period.
6) The Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee: Nee actually didn’t write this book or his other books (with the exception of The Spiritual Man). Someone heard his sermons in China and wrote them down. All Nee’s books are life changing!
7) Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis gives powerful and logical reasons to believe in the truth behind the teachings of Christianity.
8) Unlimited Power by Anthony Robbins (yes, the guy who gets people to do a fire walk on hot coals). I love positive thinking books and this one is so good that I read it and immediately read it again (something I’ve never done with any other book).
9) Uncle Tom’s Cabin: This powerful novel by Harriet Beecher Stowe is not just something to learn about in history class. It still has an amazing impact today by showing how incredibly evil, cruel, and immoral that American slavery was. It is heart-rending.
10) Self-Help by Samuel Smiles (his real name) was written (in the 1850s, I think) by a Scottish doctor who lived in London. It is known as the first modern self-help book and is overflowing with inspiration.
Have you read any of my top ten favorite books? Which ones? Why not start reading one of them today? If you have read one of them, please make a comment and tell how it touched your life. (Or share some favorite quotations from one of these books.) Thanks.