How can we know what God wants?
1) By God’s Spirit showing us through the Bible;
2) By God’s Spirit speaking directly to our heart;
3) By humbling ourselves and laying down our traditions, desires, opinions, fears, patriotism, pride, intellectualism, sins, and anything else that may hinder us from hearing God speak something against our personal defense mechanisms.
–“God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” (James 4:6)
Do you hear?
Hear My voice.”
How can you be sure you are hearing God’s voice and not your own voice or a counterfeit voice? Here are some ways to make sure:
1) Check out what you hear with the Bible. If it disagrees with the Bible, it’s not God’s will.
2) Examine it to see if it is morally right. If it’s sinful or immoral it’s not God’s will.
3) Examine your heart to make sure you are not acting in anger, hurt, fear, self-defense, rebellion, pride, revenge, manipulation, self-righteousness, greed, or any other wrongful attitude or impure motive. If what you are hearing is compulsive and tormenting it is not from God. God lovingly woes and draws; He does not try to override your free will.
4) Ask God to show you if there is anything in you that is interfering with your hearing His will and then be open to receiving instructions directly from God that may disagree with your opinion and/or desire.
5) Share what you hear with some spiritually mature Christ-followers. If they don’t confirm what you heard as the will of God and you agree with their counsel then don’t do it. However, if you still believe you are hearing God’s voice, go back to God in prayer and ask for His confirmation. Also, continue to search the Scriptures for direction.
6) If what you are hearing continues after these steps, there is a strong chance it is God instructing you.
7) Check out Acts 5:29: Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings!”