Here’s an open letter to the National Religious Broadcasters who are holding their convention, Proclaim 16, in Nashville beginning Tuesday, February 23.
Dear NRB Delegates:
A warm welcome to Nashville! Thank you for what you do to present Jesus Christ in and to our culture through various forms of media. And thank you for gathering together in Nashville seeking to find ways to be more effective in reaching people for Christ. I know that you have many great sessions to attend and speakers to hear, so I will briefly share 14 things that might make us more effective as media proclaimers of Christ. I will use the form: “what we need more of and what we need less (or fewer) of.”
- More salvation testimonies; less expert instruction.
- More interaction and meaningful participation; less audience passivity.
- More focus on the presence of Christ; less on hosts and guest stars.
- More Spirit-led and anointed worship, less showmanship.
- More Bible words and quotes, less human ideas and elaboration.
- More words from ordinary people, fewer from Christian celebrities.
- More heart-felt sharing; less smooth programming.
- More humility and brokenness; less pride and expertise.
- More proclaiming of the name of Jesus; less of famous minister’s names.
- More sowing “seed” of the living Word burning in people’s hearts; less asking people for “seed faith.”
- More challenges to obey Christ; less Christian entertainment.
- More prompting by the Holy Spirit, fewer elaborate props and human prompts.
- More of God’s creativity, less of our repetition.
- More of God’s fire, less of our fancy. (Help people go beyond church, surrendering control to the living, resurrected Jesus Christ!)
Steve Simms, #proclaim16