The Bible in 2 Timothy 3:5 tells Christ-followers to turn away from powerless religion. But how do we recognize it? Here are 8 ways:
1) Nothing out of the ordinary happens in the meetings.
2) Many of those who attend are visibly bored.
3) Tears are seldom seen in the meeting.
4) There is little or no excitement, enthusiasm, rejoicing or celebrating.
5) Some people are eager for the church service to end and don’t like for it to go longer than planned.
6) God seems aloof and distant rather than intimately, actively, and tangibly present.
7) There is no opportunity for people who are hurting to receive help and healing in the meeting.
8) People leave the service the same way they came into it–unconvicted of their sin–ready to go back to life as usual.
9) The attendees can’t seem to get free from self-destructive behaviors, negative attitudes, bad habits, harmful compulsions, and other sins.
(“Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.” –2 Timothy 3:5 NKJ)
To learn more about going beyond the form of godliness check out my book Beyond Church: An Invitation To Experience The Lost Word Of The Bible–Ekklesia available in Kindle and paperback on Amazon by clicking here.