Are there others who should be remembered on Memorial Day? Have we forgotten about some of the world’s greatest heroes?
On Memorial Day we remember those who fought with violence, death and destruction. Perhaps we should also remember those who fought with non-violent resistance, love, and prayer and overcame their enemies without firing a shot:
- The American abolitionists, led by William Lloyd Garrison;
- The Indian independence fighters, led by Mahatma Gandhi;
- The Civil Rights activists who overcame Jim Crow race laws, led by Martin Luther King, Jr.
- The restorers of democracy in the Philippines, led by Corazon Aquino;
- Those who brought down Communism in Eastern Europe, led by Lech Walesa;
- The early Christ-followers who overcame extreme persecution to conquer the Roman Empire, led by the living, risen Jesus.