Major Stephen Court says in the foreword: “What would happen if we burst out of the conventional church paradigm? What would happen if we decided to live our lives, fight our salvation warfare, serve our King of Kings, within a revolutionary paradigm, one unbounded by cultural accretions to the Gospel, one unmoored from human expectations and limitations? Monumental positive change . . . We’re introducing you to ekklesia.”
My new book, Beyond Church: An Invitation To Experience The Lost Word Of The Bible, Ekklesia, (get it here) contains many Salvation Army quotations and much Salvationist history, such as:
- Quotes from the Booths, Samuel Logan Brengle, General André Cox, Commissioner Israel Gaither, Commissioner Phil Needham, and many others;
- An entire chapter about how The Salvation Army was a much more radical reformation of the church than the Protestant Reformation;
- Stories about Nashville’s Berry Street Corps and our experience with ekklesia;
- Numerous quotes from the book, Come Join Our Army, by R.G. Moyles; published by Crest Books in 2007.
The book also contains information about:
- How the key word “ekklesia” was left out of almost all English language Bible translations;
- My personal search for ekklesia in contemporary society;
- Historical examples of Christ-followers meeting in ekklesia;
- The concept of ekklesia as the city council of Greek city-states;
- Practical and effective steps to ekklesia;
- How ekklesia works to turn spectators into participants;
- The real life benefits of ekklesia;
- Our need for a new reformation in the 21st Century;
- And my own 95 Theses (following Martin Luther’s example).
Beyond Church: An Invitation To Experience The Lost Word Of The Bible, Ekklesia is available in paperback and Kindle at Amazon. You can learn more about the book and/or purchase it at this link.